Elderflower and Rhubarb Juice Cordial
7 sticks of Rhubarb
1.5 litres of water (2 and 3/4 pints)
1.2kg og Sugar (2lbs 2oz)
grated zest and juice of 1 Lemon
50g Citric Acid (1 and 3/4oz)
25 Elderflower Heads – no stalks
- Bring the water, Rhubarb and sugar to the boil, and then simmer for 5-10 minutes, until the Rhubarb is very soft.
- Remove from the heat and add the Lemon zest juice and citric acid.
- Put the Elderflowers into a large heatproof bowl and pour over the Rhubarb mixture.
- Cover and keep in a very cool place for four days, stirring once every day.
- Strain through muslin and leave for several hours, don’t squeeze as this will make the cordial go cloudy
- Store in sterilized bottles in the fridge for 8-12 days, or freeze until needed
Jennie Rudman//// from http://www.kitchengarden.co.uk. April 2006
Cabbage with spinach and creamed coconut – boil the cabbage lightly first 3-4 mins in v little water, then add the spinach and allow to wilt, then add a tablespoon of creamed coconut (it takes some of the bitterness off the spinach) stir until the coconut has mixed in and coated the cabbage
Cabbage with mustard seeds
Chop the cabbage and rinse, drain briefly. Heat a tablespoon of sunflower oil, add mustard seeds when hot and stir till they start popping. Add the cabbage and a few tablespoons of water. Cook for about 5 minutes, Stir occasionally and add a tablespoon or two of water if necessary to stop it burning.
Canadian raspberry and almond cake (can be made with any acid fruit eg blackcurrants, cranberries, cooking apples)
- Cream together 5 oz soft butter, 5 oz white sugar, 5 oz ground almonds, 5 oz self-raising flour and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Grease and line a cake tin, spread half the mix in the tin,
put a layer (8 oz) of acid fruit (eg raspberries, redcurrants, chopped cooking apples, cranberries) cover with the other half of the mix. The easiest way to do this is to take a spoonful, squash it flat and lay it on the fruit, repeat till it is all used up.
- Cook at gas 5 (180 oC) for 45 minutes
please send in recipes you would like to share to the committee